This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
Step right into an adventure at the Green Mountain State with our ultimate Vermont bucket list guide!
From the picturesque towns of Stowe and Woodstock to the stunning natural beauty of Lake Champlain and Killington, this state offers a plethora of unique experiences for all the family.
To help you plan your trip, we’ve curated this list to showcase the activities to try and places to see in Vermont.
Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventures like hiking and skiing, or prefer the charm of small towns with boutique shops and art galleries, Vermont has something for everyone.
You may also like our guide to the best places to visit in Vermont.
Free Vermont Bucket List
Bennington Bucket List
Nestled in the southwestern corner of Vermont, Bennington is a small town that exudes quintessential New England charm.
The town is surrounded by rolling hills and boasts a rich history that is evident in its stunning architecture and monuments.
- Take a look at the Bennington Battle Monument.
- Visit the Bennington Museum.
- Admire the beautiful Old First Congregational Church; this is also the burial place of poet Robert Frost.
- Watch a show at the Oldcastle Theater Company.
- Check out the USS Bennington Bell.
- Then the Bennington County Courthouse building over the road.
- Grab a pizza Bennington Pizza House.
- Go for craft beer at Harvest Brewing.
- Take some fresh produce home with you from Walloomsac Farmers Market.
- Indulge in Italian cuisine at Allegro Ristorante.
- Grab a bite to eat at The Publyk House.
- Eat the Blue Benn Diner.
- Drive through Silk Road Bridge – one of VT’s covered bridges.
- Learn about the history of Vermont at Park-McCullough Historic House.
- Go for a hike in Harmon Hill via Long Trail near Bennington.
Brattleboro Bucket List
Brattleboro is a vibrant town located in southern Vermont, known for its artsy vibe and progressive culture.
The town is nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains and offers a unique blend of urban and rural living.
- Visit the Robb Family Farm (822 Ames Hill Rd) in the spring to see how maple syrup is gathered.
- Pick your own berries at Dutton Berry Farm.
- Browse the Brattleboro Farmers Market.
- Eat at the Vermont Country Deli.
- Check out the Creamery Covered Bridge.
- Enjoy some Mexican food at Tito’s Taqueria.
- Spend the afternoon antiquing at Twice Upon a Time.
- Hike the Retreat Trails.
- Try a maple-inspired drink at Saxton’s Distillery.
You may also like our guide to the best hikes in Southern Vermont.
Burlington Bucket List
Burlington, the state’s largest city, is located on the shores of Lake Champlain.
This vibrant city offers a perfect blend of urban and natural experiences- boasting a bustling downtown scene with numerous shops, restaurants, and galleries.
- Spend the day tasting different brews and eating pizza with a brewery tour.
- Ride your bike through beaches and parks on the Burlington Bike Path.
- Explore Church Street Marketplace, and the stores and cafes along it.
- See a show at the Burlington Memorial Auditorium.
- Enjoy some tasty food at Istanbul Kebab House.
- Take a ferry ride with Lake Champlain Ferries.
- Take a walk on the Boardwalk at the Community Boathouse Marina.
- Support local artists at Frog Hollow Craft Center.
- Indulge your taste buds at Bistro De Margot.
- Grab a fresh-baked bagel at Feldman’s Bagels.
- Browse antiques at Barge Canal Market.
- Enjoy some pizza at Pizzeria Verita.
- Load up on sweet treats at Lake Champlain Chocolates.
- Check out the quirky attraction of the World’s Tallest Filing Cabinet (220 Flynn Ave).
- Spend some time at North Beach Park.
- See the historic Ethan Allen Homestead Museum and launch a kayak nearby.
- Visit the museum spaces at Shelburne Museum in Shelburne.
- Fill up on cider and donuts at Shelburne Orchards during fall.
Killington Bucket List
Killington is a ski resort town located in central Vermont, known for its stunning mountain views and world-class skiing.
The town boasts a vibrant après-ski scene and offers a range of outdoor activities in Vermont for all seasons- see activities to try below.
- Ski, snowboard, or bike at Killington Resort.
- Ride the gondola with K1 Express Gondola rides.
- Try some Jerk Jamaican Mountain Grill.
- Enjoy some drinks at Killington Distillery.
- Walk the beautiful trails of Thundering Brook Falls.
- Spend the night camping in Gifford Woods State Park.
- Cross-country ski with Mountain Meadows Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe Center.
- Enjoy some food from BackCountry Café.
- After a long day on the mountain, enjoy a meal at The Foundry at Summit Pond.
- Treat yourself at Spa in the Woods.
- Grab a bite to eat at Killington Deli and Marketplace.
- Enjoy Vermont nightlife at Pickle Barrel NightClub.
- Play some golf at Green Mountain National Golf Course.
- Take a 30-minute drive to explore Lefferts’s Pond in Chittenden, VT.
Read next: Things to do in Killington in winter.
Lake Champlain Islands Bucket List
Lake Champlain Islands are a group of islands located in the northern reaches of Lake Champlain, known for their stunning natural beauty and laid-back island vibe.
The islands offer a range of water-based and outdoor activities you can add to your Vermont summer bucket list.
And for places to stay, be sure to check out these lovely lakefront rentals in VT.
- Swim in the crystal clear waters of Lake Champlain.
- Go for a scenic drive on Route 2.
- Check out Bar State Park.
- Walk or ride your bike on the Lake Champlain Causeway.
- Explore Green Mountain National Forest.
- Visit Shelburne Farms.
Lake Willoughby Area Bucket List
The Lake Willoughby Area of Vermont offers visitors a serene escape to nature in the heart of the Northeast Kingdom.
Surrounded by the majestic Green Mountains, visitors can explore pristine lakes, tranquil forests, and charming small towns that showcase the unique character of the state.
- Take in the serenity of Lake Willoughby.
- Plan a getaway at Nod Away.
- Shop at the Willoughby Lake Store.
- Camo at White Caps Campground.
- Climb the summit of Mount Pisgah.
- Walk the trails of Sentinel Rock State Park.
Manchester Bucket List
Located in southern Vermont, Manchester is a charming town featuring upscale shops, delicious restaurants, and stunning scenery.
With the nearby mountains, streams, and forests, it’s a perfect destination for those who want to experience Vermont’s natural beauty while enjoying some luxury.
- Start the day with a hearty breakfast at Up For Breakfast.
- Learn about American history at Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home.
- Check out local artists at the Southern Vermont Arts Center.
- Dine at the Silver Fork.
- Explore the Equinox Preservation Trust.
- Hike to Lye Brook Falls.
- Shop at the Manchester Designer Outlets.
- Eat at Raven’s Den Steakhouse and Taproom.
- Take a hike at Prospect rock.
- Browse Comollo Antiques.
- Take a glass-blowing workshop at Manchester Hot Glass.
Montpelier Bucket List
Montpelier is the capital city of Vermont, known for its small-town charm and historic architecture.
The city is surrounded by rolling hills and offers a range of cultural activities such as art galleries and museums.
- Tour the Vermont State House.
- Admire the Italian Renaissance Revival Kellogg-Hubbard Library.
- Learn more about Native American history in VT at Vermont History Museum.
- Gorge on chocolate at Rabble Rouser.
- See the Ceres and Ethan Allen Statues.
- Watch a show at Lost Nation Theater.
- Enjoy some Italian food at Sarducci’s.
- Browse the Capital City Farmers Market.
- Look out for granite train passing by during your stay.
- Visit the Caledonia Spirits for great food and drinks.
- Have a wine tasting at North Branch Vineyards.
- Admire the stone carvings at the Hope Cemetery.
- Stop for a coffee and baked goods at Birchgrove Baking.
- Spend some time in nature hiking at the North Branch Nature Center.
- Visit the sugar houses at Morse Farm Maple Sugar Works and Bragg Farm SugarHouse and Gift Shop.
- Explore Camel’s Hump State Park.
Plainfield Bucket List
Explore nature, see a show, and soak up the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of Plainfield, VT.
Situated in northern Vermont, this small town welcomes you with activities to enjoy and destinations to visit.
- Explore the vast Groton State Forest.
- Check out Kettle Pond State Park.
- See a show at the Town Hall Opera House.
- Camp at Onion River Campground.
- Visit Willow Moon Farm.
Quechee Bucket List
Whether you’re looking for a quiet escape or a fun-filled adventure, Quechee has plenty to offer.
People come to Quechee to enjoy the natural beauty of the area, sample local foods and wines, and explore the many art galleries and antique shops.
- Hike, camp, or kayak at Quechee Gorge.
- Explore Quechee State Park.
- Stop by Quechee Covered Bridge.
- Uncover some treasures at The Gorge Village Vermont Antique Mall.
- Take the kids to explore the Vermont Toy Museum.
- Sample different Spirits at the Vermont Spirits Distilling Co.
- Take an off-road tour with Quechee Segway.
- After a morning exploring the Gorge, stop to refuel at the Snack Bar.
- Learn something new at the Vermont Institute of Natural Science.
- Check out the Simon Pearce Mill.
- Eat at Simon Pearce Restaurant.
- Enjoy a slice of pizza at Pizza Chef.
- Treat yourself with a gift from Whisper Hill Bath and Body store.
- Relax at The Strong House Spa.
- Hop in a hot air balloon with Balloons of Vermont, Balloons Over New England, or Quechee Balloon Rides, LC.
St. Johnsbury Bucket List
From discovering the rich history and culture of the town to exploring surrounding landscapes, St. Johnsbury has something for everyone.
With its stunning architecture, art galleries, and museums, this place is worth the visit for those seeking a fun and engaging getaway.
- Have a unique and moving experience at the Dog Chapel.
- Take your dog to visit the Dog Mountain Home of Stephen Huneck, the creator of the dog chapel.
- Stop for a coffee at Locally Social Coffee.
- Wander around the Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium.
- Satisfy your taste buds at Pica-Pica Filipino Cuisine.
- See a show put on by local artists or look around the art gallery at Catamount Film and Arts.
- Grab a brew at Whirligig Brewing.
- Take a look around the Northeast Kingdom Artisans Guild.
- Enjoy dinner at the Kingdom Taproom.
- Ride your bike, walk, or stop to play at the playground at the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail.
- Hop on a snowmobile or ATV for some off-road exploring with NEK Adventures.
Looking for more winter activities in Vermont? Check this guide.
Stowe Bucket List
If you’re seeking an adrenaline-pumping adventure mixed with breathtaking views, then Stowe, VT is the place for you.
This place is also home to a vibrant arts scene, boutiques, and farm-to-table restaurants that will tantalize your taste buds.
- Take a guided tour of the best breweries Vermont has to offer.
- Ride your bike or hike the Stowe Recreation Path.
- Stop for a bite to eat at Edelweiss Mountain Deli.
- Check out the views of Smugglers Notch State Park.
- Go for a scenic drive on the Stowe Mountain Auto Toll Road.
- Cross-country ski with Trapp Family Lodge Outdoor Center.
- Then enjoy a beer at the Trapp Family Brewery.
- Check out local artists’ work at West Branch Gallery and Sculpture Park.
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast at Butler’s Pantry.
- Wander around the Little River Hot Glass Studio.
- Eat at the Green Goddess Café.
- Ski or snowboard at Spruce Peaks.
- Walk through the Gold Brook Covered Bridge.
- Take in the beauty of Moss Glen Falls.
- Grab a sweet treat from Stowe Bee Bakery and Café.
- Walk around the Stowe Farmers Market.
- Enjoy a cider from Stowe Cider.
- If you’re in the mood for sushi, stop at Sushi Yoshi.
- Attend a service or admire the beauty of the Blessed Sacrament Church.
- Catch a show at the Stowe Theater Guild.
- Hike to the summit of Mount Mansfield, or ride the gondola if hiking isn’t your thing.
- Splash around in the Lamoille River.
Warren Bucket List
Warren is one of the smaller destinations offering a base for Vermont activities offering a unique blend of history, nature, and adventure.
- Ski, snowboard, or hike the many trails at the Sugarbush Resort.
- Go for an air tour of the area with Sugarbush Soaring.
- Grab a filling sandwich at Mutha Stuffers.
- Spend some time shopping at The Warren Store.
- Eat at The Pitcher Inn.
- Dine on French cuisine at Chez Henri.
- Join a yoga or pilates class at the Salt and Sand Studios.
- Visit the Warren Covered Bridge.
- Go for a photo opportunity at Warren Falls and the smaller, Freeman Brook.
- Take a pottery class at Luke Iannuzzi Pottery.
- Check out the art and gardens at Moosewalk Studios and Gallery.
- Enjoy a scenic drive on Lincoln Gap Road.
Woodstock Bucket List
Woodstock is also a great destination if you’re looking for plenty of activities in Vermont, but it does get very crowded in fall.
The town is located in the central part of the state and offers a delightful mix of quaint shops, historic sites, and stunning landscapes.
- Get a history lesson at Marsh-Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park.
- Enjoy a meal at Mangalitsa.
- Dine at The Prince and The Pauper Restaurant.
- Add to your art collection and shop at Collective, The Art of Craft.
- Admire the work of New England artists at Gallery on the Green.
- Visit the Town Crier board to see what events are coming up in the town of Woodstock.
- Watch a show at the Woodstock Town Hall Theater.
- Indulge in a tasty meal at the Red Rooster.
- Go ice skating at the Union Arena Community Center.
- Buy a new book at The Yankee Bookshop.
- Grab a tasty sandwich and pastry at the Village Butcher.
- Find something unique at Clover Gift Shop and Clover Apothecary.
- Unleash your inner chef with a cooking class at Eden Marceau-Piconi.
- Go for a stroll through the Woodstock Vermont Historical Society.
- Explore Mount Tom.
- Enjoy the great outdoors at the Ottauquechee River.
- Drive through the Taftsville Covered Bridge.
- Drive by Sleepy Hollow Farm to see the idyllic fall scene.
- Spend the day at the Sugarbush Farm eating cheese and learning about maple syrup.
- Stop for a meal at Cloudland Farm.
There you have it- the best things to do in Vermont for your ultimate VT bucket list!
We hope this guide has inspired you to plan your own adventure and discover all the amazing things this state has to offer.
If you have any other suggestions for must-see Vermont attractions, please leave a comment below – we’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences!