This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
Check out our comprehensive New Hampshire bucket list to discover the attractions, activities, and destinations to add to your itinerary!
New Hampshire is a state located in the northeastern region of the United States.
Known as the “Granite State,” it is famous for its rugged natural beauty, picturesque towns, and abundant history.
It is home to the White Mountains, which feature some of the highest peaks in the eastern US, including the towering Mount Washington.
Many people flock to New Hampshire in fall to see the wonder of the foliage changing to reds, yellows, and oranges – quite the spectacle!
And in addition to its natural beauty, it is also rich in culture and history- featuring many historic sites and museums.
There are plenty of things to try and explore so if you’re ready, let’s dive into the best things to do in New Hampshire and start planning your adventure!
You may also like our list to the best places to visit in New Hampshire.
Free New Hampshire Bucket List
Alton Bay Bucket List
Alton Bay is a beautiful and serene destination located on the eastern shore of Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.
Check out some activities to try below.
- Enjoy the well-maintained trails of Mount Major, well worth the view.
- Get ‘the’ photo of the Alton Bay houses reflecting in the water.
- Spend some time on the lake paddle boarding or kayaking with SUP-NH Paddleboard Rentals (10 Mt Major Hwy).
- Enjoy food by the banks of the water at Shibley’s at the Pier.
For accommodations, you may also check our list of lake houses for rent in NH.
Bartlett Bucket List
Nestled in the heart of the White Mountains, Bartlett is a charming town that offers visitors an abundance of natural beauty and outdoor activities.
Whether you’re looking to hit the slopes, explore the local covered bridges, or indulge in some delicious cuisine, Bartlett has something for everyone.
- Ski or snowboard at Attitash Mountain Resort or Bear Notch Ski Touring.
- Explore Bartlett Covered Bridge and the little Covered Bridge Shoppe for a souvenir.
- Take a short stroll to admire the waterfalls at Diana’s Baths.
- Start your day with a delicious breakfast at The Sunrise Shack.
- Enjoy a brew at Ledge Brewing Company.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with rock climbing, ice climbing, waterfall rappelling, and mountaineering with Northeast Mountaineering Day.
- Indulge in some pasta at Joseph’s Spaghetti Shed.
- Have an upscale meal at White Mountain Cider Company.
- Have a day snowmobiling with Northern Extremes Snowmobile.
- Enjoy a meal at hotspot Matty B’s Mountainside Café.
- Take the kids to Story Land for a fun adventure near Bartlett.
Looking for New Hampshire outdoor activities in the winter? Check this guide.
Conway Bucket List
Conway is a popular vacation destination in New Hampshire.
It is the start (or end) of the famous Kancamagus Highway, a very scenic New Hampshire Route 112.
- Learn about the stop along the Kancamagus Highway during a self-guided audio tour, which can be bought at Viator and GetYourGuide.
- Try a treat at Sweet Maple Cafe
- Tick off the following covered bridges from your NH bucket list: Swift River and Saco River
- Listen to the Lower Falls as they surge over rocks.
- Cross the bridge at the Rocky Gorge.
- Learn about the residents of the Russell-Colbath House which is still standing.
- Walk to Sabbaday Falls
- Stop off at the many scenic look outs along the Kam Highway.
Crawford Notch Bucket List
Crawford Notch is a breathtakingly beautiful mountain pass located around the White Mountains.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience the natural wonders in this incredible destination.
- Marvel at the views of Crawford Notch State Park.
- Look out for Silver Cascade Falls by the side of the road.
- Take in spectacular views of Crawford Notch State Park from the top of Mount Willard, one of the most popular photography spots in the area.
- Enjoy the ponds at Ethan Ponds in the park and even check out part of the Appalachian Trail.
- Sam Willey Loop is an easy trail and offers the best nature has to offer.
- Kedron Flume is a brook for more advanced hikers.
- Grab a snack at Wiley House Snack Bar.
- Feed the ducks across the road from Wiley House, bring loose change for the food machine.
- Ripley Falls is a relatively easy hike within the park.
Concord Bucket List
Concord, the capital city of New Hampshire, is a vibrant and historic destination that offers visitors a unique blend of modern amenities and small-town charm.
Don’t miss out on the chance to experience what this place has to offer.
- Learn about former President Franklin Pierce at the Pierce Manse.
- Check out a show at the Capitol Center for the Arts.
- Grab a bite to eat at Angelina’s Ristorante Italiano.
- Find a treasure at Concord Antiques.
- Catch a flick at Red River Theaters.
- Eat at the Barley House.
- Enjoy some handcrafted brews at the Concord Craft Brewing Company.
- Find yourself a sweet treat at Granite State Candy Shoppe.
- Check out the New Hampshire State House.
- Look around the New Hampshire Historical Society Museum and Library.
- Check out the John Parker Hale statue, an American politician and lawyer from New Hampshire.
- Enjoy the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center, which is a museum dedicated to air and space travel.
- Taste some Japanese cuisine at the Moritomo Japanese Restaurant.
- Discover local history at the Kimball Jenkins Estate.
- Learn about wildlife sanctuaries at Susan N. McLane Audubon Center and Silk Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Check out Lewis Farm and Greenhouses.
- Go for a hike at Winant Park Hiking Trails.
- Get your blood pumping at the Escape Room.
- Stop for a bit at Steadfast Spirits Distilling Co.
- Get lost in a new book from Gibson’s Bookstore.
- Buy some local produce at Dimond Hill Farm, pick up a pumpkin in fall.
- Spend the afternoon at Carter Hill Orchard.
Exeter, NH Bucket List
Exeter is a historic New England town that is filled with quaint shops, delicious restaurants, and beautiful architecture.
So be sure to add this place to your list of New Hampshire activities.
- Learn about history at the American Independence Museum.
- Check out Phillips Exeter Academy.
- Go for a bike ride on Phillips Exeter Trail.
- Grab a fresh meal at Laney and LU.
- Find something new at Antiques, Etc.
- Dine at Otis Restaurant.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a scoop of ice cream from Stillwells Riverwalk Ice Cream.
- Learn about the Powder House (1771), one of the historic sites from Colonial times.
- Plan a romantic dinner at Vino e Vivo.
- Spend time in nature at Founders Park.
- Check out local artists at Art Up Front Street Studio and Gallery.
- Get your chocolate fix at Enna Chocolate.
- Take a walk around Gale Park War Memorial and Park.
- Enjoy a cozy homemade meal at the Trackside Café.
- Marvel at the architecture of St. Michael Parish Church.
- Indulge in fine dining at Epoch Gastropub.
- Enjoy nature at Swasey Parkway.
- Wander around the annual Labor Day weekend UFO Festival.
Franconia Notch Bucket List
Franconia Notch offers stunning views of the surrounding peaks and opportunities for outdoor activities- check them out below.
- Grab your camera before going to Franconia Notch; the views are breathtaking.
- Visit Echo Lake in Bald Mountain.
- Climb the popular Artists Bluff (avoid weekends during foliage), or lesser known Bald Mountain.
- Take in the views of the Pemigewasset River.
- Visit Flume Gorge, walls of Conway granite ranging from 70 to 90 ft, 12 to 20 ft apart.
- Enjoy good food at The Profile Room at the Indian Head Resort.
- Get the ultimate view and try Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway.
Hampton Beach Bucket List
Looking for places and activities to add to your New Hampshire summer bucket list?
Hampton Beach is a classic New England beach town that offers visitors an array of activities and attractions.
- Spend time at Hampton Beach State Park.
- Try your luck at the Ocean Gaming Casino.
- Fresh seafood and views of the ocean while you dine at Sea Ketch Restaurant and Outdoor Decks.
- Enjoy some fast food from Blinks Fry Doe.
- If you are looking for a quieter beach, check out North Beach.
Jackson Bucket List
Located near the White Mountains, Jackson is a charming village surrounded by breathtaking landscapes.
Listed below are activities and places you can visit in and around the area.
- Spend some time at Jackson falls, it’s huge and wide so you can get very close.
- Look out for the pink house.
- Wander around the Jackson Historical Society and Museum of White Mountain Art.
- Take a picture at the Honeymoon Bridge.
- Find a unique treasure at Flossie General Store.
- Enjoy a meal at J-Town Deli Country Store.
- Stop for breakfast at Yesterday’s Restaurant.
- Take an art class at Jackson Art Studio and Gallery.
- Eat at Shannon Door Pub.
- Order some delicious food at Thompson House Eatery.
- Practice some self-care at The Spa at Christmas Farm Inn.
- Splurge at Autumn Nomad Cakes and Café.
- Find a special gift for yourself at Ravenwood Curio Shoppe.
- Add a new puzzle to your collection from White Mountain Puzzles.
- Play a round of golf at Wentworth Golf Club, can you find the covered bridge?
- Make time for the Glen Ellis Falls Trail, its less than 0.5 miles and takes you to a noisy fall.
- Hit the slopes at Wildcat Mountain.
Laconia Bucket List
Looking for more places to see in New Hampshire where you can enjoy both indoors and outdoors?
Laconia is a cute destination offering scenic landscapes, waterfront attractions and a variety of restaurants and shops to visit.
This is a fun spot, especially in summer, as it features beaches and lots of things to do for families around Lake Winnipesaukee.
- Enjoy the shops or hop aboard a cruise at Weirs Beach.
- Walk along the boardwalk at Winnipesaukee Pier.
- Get a tan at Endicott Rock Park (Weir’s Beach).
- Listen out for the Hobo Railroad train.
- Enjoy a cocktail at the Naswa Beach Bar & Grill.
- Or craft beer and games at Twin Barns.
- Play arcade and sports games at Funspot.
- Get a beer at The Looney Bin.
- Check out the bikes at High Octane Saloon.
- For some of the best fall foliage, hike the 1.3-mile Backbone Loop.
- Check out Belknap Mill.
- Do some antiquing at Laconia Antique Center.
- Lay on the beach at Opechee Park Cove Beach.
- See a show at Colonial Theatre.
- Experience fine dining at Laconia Local Eatery.
- Enjoy a good cup of joe at Wayfarer Coffee Roasters.
- Dine at Water Street Café.
- Take a hike through Ahern State Park.
- Check out some pottery at Art Escape.
Lincoln Bucket List
Lincoln is also a popular vacation destination in New Hampshire.
It is the start (or end) of the famous Kancamagus Highway, the pretty New Hampshire Route 112.
- Learn about the stop along the Kancamagus Highway during a self-guided audio tour, which can be bought at Viator and GetYourGuide.
- Ride bikes or ski at Loon Mountain.
- Hop aboard the Hobo Railroad train.
- Play mini golf next to the Hobo Railroad station.
- Fill your hole at White Mountain Bage.
- Buy your snow gear at Burton.
- Get your thrills at Alpine Adventures.
Littleton Bucket List
Littleton features historic architecture, quaint shops, and friendly locals; it’s surprisingly hip for a touristy town!
Find out what you can experience in and around the area.
- Spend some time antiquing at The Purple Peacock and Just L Modern Antiques.
- Enjoy a meal at The Coffee Pot Restaurant.
- Check out the Riverwalk Covered Bridge.
- Make a noise at the outdoor music classroom.
- Stop at a kid-friendly museum like Littleton Area Historical Museum.
- Eat at Schilling Beer Co.
- Go for a walk at Kilburn Crags.
- Buy a little something at Chutters– they have the longest candy counter in the world!
- Stop to shop at Art To Go.
- Spend a few hours playing escape rooms at Time Quest NH.
- Visit the statue of Pollyanna.
- Pick up cider and craft beer from Little Town Brews.
- Choose your pizza at Porfido’s.
- Get a photo of the colorful umbrellas.
- Shop around at The Little Village Toy and Book Store.
- Restock your herbs at The Little Herb Shoppe.
Manchester, NH Bucket List
Manchester is a hub of culture and entertainment.
With a thriving arts scene, restaurants, and plenty of shopping options, discover the things to do in New Hampshire’s largest city.
- Spend the time doing a scavenger hunt.
- Book a spot at the Zimmerman House to look around.
- Look around the Currier Museum of Art.
- Check out To Share Brewing Company for a beer and some food.
- Catch a show at the Palace Theater.
- Start your day with breakfast at Julien’s Corner Kitchen.
- Take the family for a fun day at Livingston Park.
- Watch a baseball game at Delta Dental Stadium.
- Take a chocolate-making class or just enjoy eating chocolate at Van Otis Chocolates.
Mount Washington Bucket List
At 6,288 feet, Mount Washington is the tallest peak in the Northeast and a must-visit destination for any nature lover or outdoor enthusiast.
Get ready to try the activities you can do around the area.
- Enjoy the views from the top of Mount Washington by driving to the summit.
- Take the Railway to the Moon, Mt. Washington Cog.
- See the stunning foliage around the area during fall.
- Explore Mount Washington State Park.
- Hike through Mount Washington Valley.
- Stay at the Appalachian Mountain Club High Huts.
- Go for a nice hike on Jewell Trail.
You may also like our guide to some of the best hikes in New Hampshire.
North Conway Bucket List
With its picturesque downtown area filled with boutique shops and restaurants, North Conway is a popular destination for visitors to the White Mountains.
See what this place has to offer.
- Go for a hike along Bryce Path Trail.
- Check out the views from Cathedral Ledge.
- Have some seafood at the Lobster Trap.
- Satisfy your taste buds at Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery.
- Indulge in some retail therapy at the outlet mall Settlers Green.
- Enjoy a wine tasting at White Mountain Wine Tasting.
- Explore Dahl Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Stop and play at Harvey Dow Gibson Playground.
- Hop aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad for a vintage ride.
You may also like our list of activities for winter in North Conway.
Portsmouth, NH Bucket List
As one of the oldest cities in the United States, Portsmouth is a treasure trove of history and culture.
With its charming brick buildings, quaint shops, and stunning waterfront views, Portsmouth is a destination that should be on your NH bucket list.
You may also like our guide to NH in spring featuring Portsmouth.
- Discover a darker side of Portsmouth with the self-guided haunted walking tour.
- Take a bike tour around the island and harbor.
- Learn about local history at Strawbery Banke Museum.
- Try the cuisine at Cure.
- Check out Prescott Park.
- Catch a concert or comedy show at The Music Hall.
- Take a walk around the African Burying Grounds for a history lesson.
- Dine at the Green Elephant.
- Search for a unique find at Antiques on Market.
- Order a feast at Durbar Square Restaurant.
- Check out Temple Israel.
- Find something fun at Diversions Puzzles and Games.
- Let loose and have fun at Monkey Mind Escape Rooms.
- Enjoy the ambiance of Ristorante Massimo.
- Wander through a historic cemetery at St. John’s Episcopal Church.
- Visit the Museum of Dumb Guy Stuff.
- Grab something to eat at Colby’s Breakfast and Lunch.
- Buy some local produce at the Portsmouth Farmers Market.
- If you love art, then a stop at Don Gorvett Gallery is a must.
- Take a nice walk through the Urban Forestry Center.
- Make a splash at Water Country Park.
We hope our bucket list guide has helped you explore your options on what to do in New Hampshire.
Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or an adventure seeker, there’s no shortage of activities and destinations to try in the Granite State.
Don’t forget to leave a comment on your favorite activity or destination.