This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
Welcome to Georgia’s capital city!
Whether you’re a born and raised citizen here or a tourist looking for an adventure like no other, our Atlanta bucket list guide has the attractions and activities you need to discover more about The Big Peach.
For those who want to experience the city’s rich history and culture, there are museums, art galleries, and shops waiting for you to explore.
Visit local universities, cheer on sports teams, or check out the latest events and festivals.
Atlanta also prides itself on nice parks, providing residents and visitors with ample opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
If you like food, prepare your taste buds for a culinary journey in the city featuring restaurants and pubs serving mouthwatering Southern cuisine as well as diverse treats from other parts of the world.
So get ready to explore the city with this epic list conveniently grouped by district or neighborhood for easy navigation.
If you’re looking for some of the best things to do in Atlanta for free, check this guide.
You may also like our Georgia bucket list.
Free Atlanta Bucket List
Atlanta University Center Bucket List
Discover the heartbeat of education and culture in the heart of Atlanta!
Located southwest of downtown, the Atlanta University Center is a hub of historically black colleges and universities.
Buckhead Bucket List
Welcome to the glamorous district of Buckhead, situated north of downtown Atlanta!
Whether you’re seeking upscale entertainment, lush green spaces, or a taste of the good life, Buckhead is one of the places to see in Atlanta which promises a delightful experience.
- Browse over 250 stores in the Lenox Square mall.
- Eat at the True Food Kitchen.
- Treat yourself to some pampering at the Waldorf Astoria luxury spa.
- Explore the Lego Discovery Center.
- Treat yourself to something new with a shopping trip to Phipps Plaza.
- Create your own slime at the interactive Sloomoo Institute Atlanta.
- Dine on Southern comfort food at The South City Kitchen.
- Unleash your inner child at Candytopia ATL.
- Sip on cocktails at The Blind Pig Parlor.
- Learn about the area’s history at The Atlanta History Center.
- Check out who is performing at the Buckhead Theater.
- Visit the art exhibits at the Buckhead Art and Company Gallery.
- Have a fun night out bowling and drinking at The Painted Pin.
- Take a tour of the Governor’s Mansion.
- Stroll through the Peachtree Farmers Market and buy something local.
- Explore the 200-acre Atlanta Memorial Park.
- Play a round of golf at the Bobby Jones Golf Course.
- Get your blood pumping with a game of tennis at the Bitsy Grant Tennis Center.
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia.
- Sample the beers served at SweetWater Brewing Company.
- Check out what’s happening at the Cadence Bank Amphitheatre in Chastain Park.
- See local artwork at the Chastain Arts Center.
- Explore the Chattahoochee National Park.
- Experience river tubing at Chattahoochee River.
Cabbagetown Bucket List
Tucked away in Atlanta’s east side, Cabbagetown oozes charm with its quirky art scene and colorful murals.
This former mill town has transformed into a creative haven- stroll through its narrow streets, soak in the vibrant graffiti art, and feel the artistic pulse of the city in this neighborhood.
- Drive through Krog Street Tunnel and admire the street art.
- Explore Cabbagetown Park.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a treat from Sweet Cheats.
- Browse the shops and restaurants on Carroll Street.
- Enjoy brunch at Petit Chou.
- Stroll down Wylie Street and see the street art murals.
- Treat your tastebuds to biscuits and gravy at Home Grown.
- If you are visiting in November, check out the Chomp and Stomp annual festival for chili, beer, local artisans, and live music.
Castleberry Hill Bucket List
Castleberry Hill, Atlanta’s historic arts district, brims with a captivating fusion of industrial heritage and contemporary artistry.
See what you can do around the area.
- Check out the art at Zucot Gallery.
- Eat at No Mas! Cantina.
- Watch live music at Elliot Street Pub.
- Stroll down Hotel Row.
Centennial Olympic Park Bucket List
Lace up your walking shoes and head to Centennial Olympic Park!
Built to commemorate the 1996 Summer Olympics, this iconic park and area around it features activities and events that should be on your Atlanta to-do list.
- Have a picnic in the park.
- Get a picture of the Olympic Rings Sculpture.
- Splash around in the Fountain of Rings.
- Ride the Skyview Ferris Wheel.
- Hop on the Atlanta Streetcar.
- Eat at By George Restaurant and Bar.
- Spend the afternoon doing a scavenger hunt.
- Check out the latest events and festivals at the park.
The park also features in our guide to romantic things to do in Atlanta, GA.
Chamblee and Buford Highway Bucket List
Charm your taste buds with an international feast in Chamblee and Buford Highway, a foodie paradise bursting with diverse flavors.
Check out the stuff you can do here during your visit.
- Shop at the Plaza Fiesta.
- Get the best view of the city on a Biplane Rides over Atlanta.
- Find a new treasure at the Antique Factory.
- Savor authentic Chinese food at the BBQ Corner 2.
- Dine on tasty ramen at LanZhou Ramen.
- Have a fancy feast at the Continent Restaurant and Cigar Lounge.
- Eat at the Havana Sandwich Shop.
Decatur Bucket List
Just a stone’s throw east of downtown lies the charming city of Decatur.
This friendly and walkable neighborhood is teeming with boutiques, cozy cafes, a lively arts scene, and more.
- Spend an afternoon at Glenlake Park and Pool.
- Wander around Decatur’s Square.
- Check out the Homegrown Decatur Art Gallery.
- Visit the DeKalb History Center.
- Listen to live music at Eddie’s Attic.
- Dine at The Brick Store Pub.
- Take a by-appointment-only tour of The Waffle House Museum.
- Start your day with breakfast or a yummy baked good from Southern Sweets Bakery.
- Look around Kudzu Antiques for a great find.
- Browse Your Dekalb Farmers Market.
- Eat at Farm Burger Decatur.
- Learn something new at the Fernbank Science Center.
- Experience nature and science at the Fernbank Museum.
- Check out Michael C. Carlos Museum.
- Walk around the Emory University grounds.
- Visit the David J. Sencer CDC Museum.
- Explore Clyde Shepherd Nature Preserve.
- Eat at the Flying Biscuit Café.
Downtown Bucket List
With its iconic skyline, historic landmarks, and rich cultural scene, Downtown Georgia offers a diverse array of attractions.
From interesting museums and landmarks to thriving dining and entertainment options, making it a must-visit destination for locals and tourists looking to add more to their list of activities in Atlanta.
- Take a 5-hour city tour while enjoying an air-conditioned bus.
- Go on a downtown and midtown guided tour.
- Catch a live band or a comedy show at The Tabernacle.
- Ride the glass elevator up to the Sundial Restaurant and enjoy a delicious meal.
- See what concerts or sporting events are happening at the State Farm Arena.
- Watch an old-fashioned magic show at the Atlanta Magic Theater.
- Tour the interactive College Football Hall of Fame.
- Savor a slice of pizza at Max’s Coal Oven Pizzeria.
- Skip the ticket line at the World of Coca-Cola.
- Spend the afternoon with your kids at the Children’s Museum of Atlanta.
- Check out the National Center for Civil and Human Rights.
- Start your day right with a hearty breakfast from the Atlanta Breakfast Club.
- Check out what events are happening at the Georgia World Congress Center.
- Watch a football game or a concert at the Mercedes Benz Stadium.
- Take some great pictures at The Original Selfie Museum.
- Taste the wine, spirits, and beer served at the Wild Leap Atlanta.
- Eat at Daddy D’z BBQ.
- Hop on a bus and take a wine tour of downtown Atlanta and North Georgia- there are three stops along the way and 13 wine tastings.
Read next: Indoor Things to Do in Atlanta.
East Atlanta Bucket List
Looking for what to do in Atlanta that is unique and edgy?
Head to East Atlanta, a quirky and artistic neighborhood southeast of Downtown featuring live music venues, bars, and funky street art, this area celebrates individuality and creativity.
- Walk around and admire the street art.
- Browse the East Atlanta Village Farmers Market.
- Grab a delicious bagel from Emerald City Bagels.
- Watch a live band at The Earl.
- Buy some new home décor at Kaboodle Home.
- Dance the night away at a gay bar like Mary’s.
- Order food from We Suki Suki.
- Taste local beer at Argosy.
- Party all night at The Basement.
- Eat at The Midway Pub.
- Dine at Banshee.
- Explore Brownwood Park.
- Stop for a cup of coffee and homemade baked goods at Hodgepodge Coffeehouse
Georgia Tech Bucket List
Situated in Midtown, The Georgia Institute of Technology or commonly known as Georgia Tech is a prestigious university boasting cutting-edge research facilities and a lively academic scene.
See what you can do around the area.
- Take a tour of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Catch a football game at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
- Eat at The Varsity.
Grant Park Bucket List
Grant Park is a historic neighborhood boasting a nice blend of green spaces and iconic historical and cultural attractions.
Get ready to add more to your Atlanta outdoor activities and indoor escapades with the following stuff to do in the area.
- Explore Grant Park, the oldest park in the city.
- Walk around the neighborhood and admire the architecture.
- Take a stroll through the historic Oakland Cemetery.
- Dine at the Staplehouse.
- Eat at the Thumbs Up Diner.
- Try the craft beer served at Elsewhere Brewing.
Little Five Points Bucket List
Situated east of Downtown, this Little Five Points features vintage shops, bohemian boutiques, and a free-spirited vibe that makes it truly a one-of-a-kind place to visit for your Atlanta activities.
- Walk around the neighborhood and see all the street art.
- Enjoy the food at the Wrecking Bar Brewpub.
- Watch a performance at the Horizon Theater Company.
- See what is happening at the 7 Stages Theater.
- Check out what bands are performing at the Variety Playhouse.
- Eat and drink the night away at the Little 5 Corner Tavern.
- Spend an afternoon thrifting at the Junkman’s Daughter.
- Check out The Star Community Bar for a dive bar vibe.
- Eat at the Vortex.
- Enjoy a tasting at Monks Meadery.
- Dine at Wisteria.
Midtown Bucket List
Experience the dynamic pulse of Atlanta in Midtown, a thriving district north of Downtown.
Explore the activities and places to visit in this area that are worth adding to your Atlanta to-do list.
- Walk the rainbow at the Atlanta Rainbow Crosswalk.
- Stroll through 30 acres of stunning gardens at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
- Watch a performance at The Atlanta Ballet.
- See what performances are happening at the Alliance Theatre.
- Visit the Museum of Design (MODA).
- Wander around the High Museum of Art.
- See a performance at the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
- Dine at Nan Thai Fine Dining.
- Eat at South City Kitchen Midtown.
- Tour the Center for Puppetry Arts.
- Grab a slice of pizza from DaVinci’s Pizzeria.
- Get a history lesson at The Breman Museum.
- Take a tour of the Margaret Mitchell House.
- Check out the free Federal Reserve Bank Museum.
- Check out what is happening at the Fox Theater.
- Enjoy a vegan meal at the Herban Fix.
- Ride your bike or walk the Atlanta BeltLine Eastside Trail.
Old Fourth Ward Bucket List
History and revitalization come together in the Old Fourth Ward, east of Downtown.
Known for its prominent role in the Civil Rights Movement and as the birthplace of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, today it stands as a dynamic district, showcasing a mix of historic landmarks, modern developments, and a thriving arts scene.
- Check out the Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site.
- Go on a walking tour to learn about the life of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement.
- Visit The King Center to learn about the life and times of Martin Luther King Jr.
- See the Behold Monument.
- Visit the Ebenezer Baptist Church where Martin Luther King Jr. served as a Pastor.
- Play some ping pong and enjoy a beer at Sister Louisa’s Church of the Living Room and Ping Pong Emporium.
- Pick up a cup of coffee from Chrome Yellow Trading Co.
- Take in a show at the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse.
- Eat at Poor Calvin’s.
- Dine at Negril ATL.
- Admire the Bank of America Plaza.
- Browse Ponce City Market.
- Enjoy the food served at The Village Retail Market.
- Explore the Fourth Ward Park.
- Sit on the patio at Buena Vida and Sol while eating Tapas and sipping Sangria.
- Fill up on tacos and margaritas at Guac Y Margys.
Westside Bucket List
Dive into the trendy and ever-evolving Westside, a booming area west of Downtown.
Get ready to visit parks, shops, museums, and more in this part of the city.
- Browse the stores at Atlantic Station.
- See what is happening at the Goat Farm Arts Center.
- Shop and eat in the Westside Provisions District.
- Go to a concert at Terminal West.
- Explore Washington Park.
- Visit the Herndon Home Museum.
- Dine on vegan food at the SluttyVegan ATL.
- Walk around Westview Cemetery and learn about the area’s history.
- Walk the paths at Cascade Springs Nature Preserve.
- Delight your taste buds with good old Southern cooking at Big Daddy’s Café.
- Check out the Delta Flight Museum.
How many activities from our Atlanta bucket list have you done?
Let us know in the comments and share your favorite spots and experiences.
Georgia Travel Guides
- Georgia Bucket List
- State Parks in Georgia
- Things to do in North Georgia
- All Savannah Guides
- All Atlanta Guides
- All Georgia Guides